Monday, June 10, 2013

Fancy Pants Reviews: Smudge

Smudge is a 90-minute one-act play about a man and a lady who have a baby. A monster baby! But not like a mean, scary monster. A silent, mostly lifeless, one-eyed little monster named Cassie. Which would be pretty neat, if you weren't really into babies. Or if you've ever fantasized about your My Pet Monster coming to life.  

But, unfortunately for this couple, they were really hoping for a regular baby. The dad takes it surprisingly well, but the mom. Oh man. She does NOT like her little monster baby. She's actually a big jerk to it, which is darkly amusing, horrifying, and (uncomfortably) understandable at the same time. 

There aren't a lot of warm fuzzy feelings going on in this play, but it is fascinating - and, as far as I can tell, well acted. If I didn't connect to the material very strongly, it's probably because I'm not a parent, I've never been or tried to be pregnant, and I think my biological clock might have more of a tic than a tick. I left the theater with a lot of questions, only some of which were philosophical/existential, but I was satisfied with my experience. The writing was neither predictable nor overly sentimental, and I never felt bored or judgey. To me, that's a win. 

See it: If you like to think and see value in unsettling questions about life and human nature
See something else: If you're pregnant and prone to irrational fears and hysterics

-----------------------------

More about Smudge

Written by: Rachel Axler, who is also a writer for Parks and Rec, New Girl and The Daily Show (which makes her heroically fancy)
Produced by: Ka-Tet Theater Company (which I delightedly assume is a reference to the ka-tet of Stephen King's Dark Tower series)
Performed by: Stevie Chaddock Lambert and Scott Allen Luke (Ka-Tet company members) with Andrew Marchetti
Go see it: Goldstar has half-price tickets








No comments:

Post a Comment